So you’ve already picked out your centerpiece, you’ve made your wreath, you’ve decorated a million sugar cookies, and your rack of lamb (you might want this recipe!) is all thawed and ready to be cooked, but what’s your Christmas side salad going to be? Seriously don’t be basic this year and just slap a wedge salad on the side. Instead, I’m suggesting you bring out winter’s wonders and make a colorful beet and citrus salad that will brighten up your dinner table and your stomach!
The best part about this salad is that it’s so easy. All you need is a selection of citrus, various sized beets, goat cheese, and arugula. The best part is that in addition to your salad, I’ve got a quick blood orange dressing to whip up, too. It’s so easy even my momma could make it. Y’all she just confessed that she has a beautiful food processor and she’s never used it and doesn’t know how to use it. WHAT IS GOING ON IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW??? I’m just shocked. Georgia is a weird place!
WINTER CROWN JEWEL SALAD
2 blood oranges
1 naval or cara orange
3 red beets
3 yellow beets
5 mini beets (varying colors)
3 cups arugula
4 oz goat cheese
Blood Orange Dressing
4 oz blood orange juice
1/4 cup whole milk
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp orange zest
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
*Extras: aluminum foil and gloves
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Wrap each of your beets in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove beets from oven. Unwrap your beets. Let them cool to the touch. With plastic gloves on (You’ll want plastic gloves unless you want to look like you’ve recently murdered someone… that’s not a good Christmas look though so just get the gloves) peel beets and discard of the skins.
- Slice your beets and citrus into thin slices.
- In your salad bowl or platter, layer arugula, add citrus and beets over the arugula. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle goat cheese over your salad.
- In a food processor or a mixing bowl, blend orange juice, whole milk, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Pour into a dressing bowl. Garnish with orange zest.
And just like that you’ve got your own citrus party. Please invite me next time. I’m a great dancer.