There’s something about brunch that really brings the weekend together. Recently, I’ve found myself looking for an escape anywhere I can find it. And there’s no better escape than locking yourself in your kitchen and trying to figure out what to make yourself for brunch based on what’s in your kitchen. And sometimes you get genius ideas like stuff your French Toast with leftover mozzarella and that never ending jar of blood orange preserves that’s been in your fridge for what feels like a lengthy amount of time.
The best part about my brunch… other than this cheesy AF French Toast… was that I turned off my phone. Yes, maybe we know each other IRL and I’ve recently told you I’m trying to turn off the screens and give my eyes and brain a rest. So I started wearing an old school watch, and it’s changed my dining life! No longer do I pick up my phone to check the time and get sucked into the chatter of social media. I’m so obsessed with my new way of life, that I’ve teamed up with Jord, the watchmaker that changed my ways, to give you a special deal! I came across this watch in December and was so taken with how unique the brand was. It’s all wood, except for the face. It’s the perfect mix of casual and class. The light, champagne face felt feminine to me but also so easy to pair with anything I was wearing during the week. I love this watch so much, and I think ya’ll will love this watch too! So I’m doing a giveaway! Because YES! I love a deal!
pictured above: The JORD Frankie Zebrawood & Champagne watch
Every person who enters will be entered to win $100 gift code to use on the JORD site. Although only 1 person will win the $100 gift code, everyone who enters will get a $25 gift code at the end of the contest! Everyone is a winner! *Contest ends at 2/12 at 11:59 PM*
In the meantime, make some French toast and enjoy the hours!
BLOOD ORANGE & MOZZARELLA STUFFED FRENCH TOAST
1 loaf Challah bread, cut into 6-8 thick slices (about 1.5 inches)
1 large Mozzarella di Buffala round
1/4 cup Blood Orange preserves
1 cup whole milk
1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 tbsp unsalted butter, unmelted
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 large eggs
Additionally: serve with powdered sugar, blood oranges, and maple syrup
1. Use a paring knife to cut through the bottom crust of each slice of bread horizontally, to create a pocket that your fruit filling can be stuffed into.
2. In a small bowl microwave or over stovetop microwave mozzarella till warm and easily malleable. In a small mixing bowl, fold blood orange preserves into the mozzarella. Place in an airtight container and set aside.
3. In baking dish, whisk together the milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and eggs.
4. In a large skillet melt the 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
5. Cut a thin slice of blood orange cheese mixture (about 1/4 inch thick) and stuff into pouch of bread. Once the slices are stuffed, place each slice into the milk and egg mixture for about 10 seconds per side. Once the slices are coated with the custardy base, place them into your skillet. Work 1-2 at a time. Cook each slice of stuffed French toast until golden brown (3-4 minutes per side). Repeat until you’ve cooked all slices.
*If you have a large batch or like me a tiny kitchen, transfer the cooked French toast to a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200°F oven while you the rest.
6. Serve warm, topped with blood orange slices, powdered sugar, and lotsa maple syrup.