It’s been a long time! I have so much to share. I took a break from blogging for awhile to get my health in order. Turns out I’m lactose intolerant – wow! If you know me or have perused my recipes you might be scratching your head. How did you not know? Um well, it’s complicated and to be honest, I probably did know. But I love dairy. It was sad, and yes sometimes I still indulge (hello lactaid you have saved me at many dinner parties, events, and moments of ice cream desperation). Also, if you have any recommendations on great dairy-free brands or recipes comment below with any of it!
Besides finding out that dairy was not going to work in my life, I did a lot of research on foods and what modern day sorcery has done to our food. It’s grim, but you probably didn’t come here for a doomsday talk so I’ll spare you. The big story is, I now eat way less carbs, way less processed food (with the exception of chip binges) and I eat way more organic food. So you should expect to see a lot more well rounded recipes popping up on my blog. They’ve all been taste tested by my Dorito loving boyfriend, so do not fear they don’t taste like cardboard.
So let’s talk about what I made last night. We’ve been on a lot of trips for the past couple of weeks and finally stayed home. It’s finally summer and all I want to do is eat grilled food. Thank you modern kitchen appliances for giving me the grill pan. I picked up my CSA for the week from Local Roots and had an abundance of gorgeous produce. The cutest carrots I’ve ever seen. Tons of kale. And summer squash!!!! The only way to do these justice was roast and ‘cue.
Everything was so pretty so I threw almost all of it in the oven and roasted it. Added some quinoa, sumac, and chimichurri grilled chicken. And we ate it all…
CHIMICHURRI CHICKEN SKEWERS WITH SUMMER QUINOA SALAD
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 yellow zucchinis, cut
- 1 bunch of Redbor kale, destemmed
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1 tsp olive oil + 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 lb chicken thigh fillets, trimmed and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp paprika
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 summer onion
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup min leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss squash and onions in 1 tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on sheet pan. Roast for 20-30 minutes until browned.
- Place quinoa and water in saucepan over high heat. Bring water to a boil, cover with a lid, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place chicken, garlic, paprika, salt and paper in a large bowl and toss till combined. Skewer chicken and let marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Finely chop onions, parsley, and mint. Combine in bowl with olive oil. Set aside in small bowl.
- Remove veggies from oven and let rest.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add kale and sumac. Sauté until kale is a beautiful deep green. Remove from heat and set aside with the squash and onions.
- Combine roasted veggies with quinoa.
- Heat a grill pan or your barbecue (you lucky yard owner) over high heat. Brush chicken with a bit of oil and cook for 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve over quinoa, with Chimichurri sauce and lemons.
NOTE: I also roasted up carrots in my batch of roasted veggies. Separated them and added a simple kale pesto from Pinch of Yum. It was the perfect side.
Tastes like summer y’all!